Listen on iTunes: goo.gl/sMnEa0
Listen on Stitcher: www.stitcher.com/podcast/future
We're going live a day early this week in anticipation of not one, but two, very special announcements tomorrow from the team here at Collective Campus.
This week's guest is Richard Schmalensee, the Howard W. Johnson Professor of Management Emeritus and Professor of Economics Emeritus at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). He served as the John C Head III Dean of the MIT Sloan School of Management from 1998 through 2007. He was as a Member of the President's Council of Economic Advisers from 1989 through 1991 and served for 12 years as Director of the MIT Center for Energy and Environmental Policy Research. Professor Schmalensee is the author or co-author of 12 books and more than 120 published articles.
His research has centered on industrial organization economics and its application to managerial and public policy issues, and he was the 2012 Distinguished Fellow of the Industrial Organization Society. Professor Schmalensee is a Fellow of the Econometric Society and the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. He has served on the Executive Committee of the American Economic Association and has been a Director of the International Securities Exchange and other corporations. He is currently a Director of the International Data Group and the National Bureau of Economic Research, and is Chairman of the Board of Directors of Resources for the Future. He has testified before Congress and served as a consultant to government agencies and numerous private firms.Topics discussed:
- The difference between single-sided and multi-sided marketplaces
- The challenges of growing a marketplace platform like Airbnb
- What successful marketplaces have in common
- How to increase your chances of success when building a marketplace
- The role of marketplaces in employee and contractor welfare
- Are sharing economy companies really about sharing?
- Regulatory considerations
- The impact of blockchain on marketplaces
- Richard’s books: https://www.amazon.com/Richard-Schmalensee/e/B001H9RSXK/ref=dp_byline_cont_book_2
- Get Matchmakers: https://www.amazon.com/Matchmakers-New-Economics-Multisided-Platforms/dp/1633691721/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8
- Richard’s LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/richard-schmalensee-699252
Like us? It'd make our day if you took 1 minute to show some love on iTunes, Stitcher or Soundcloud by subscribing, sharing and giving us a 5 star rating.
To sign up to our mailing list head to www.futuresquared.xyz